Monday, October 4, 2010

Room

This past weekend Tommy and I drove from VB to Ikea in Potomac Mills and then on to Charlottesville. Despite the fact that I have never been able to choose a song on an iPod without immediately getting carsick, I shouldered through and read this book on the entire car ride. I couldn't stop.

I really don't know how to describe it without giving away many of the details that I wished I didn't know when I picked up the book. Instead, I'll give you one of the quotes on the back cover:

"Emma Donoghue's writing is superb alchemy, changing innocence into horror and horror into tenderness. Room is a book to read in one sitting. When it's over you look up: the world looks the same but you are somehow different and that feeling lingers for days."

-Audrey Niffenegger, author of The Time Traveler's Wife and Her Fearful Symmetry

I cannot stop thinking about this book, it's characters and their story. If you've read it and want to discuss it, let's do so please.

1 comment:

Katie Shields said...

My readallday.org woman just reviewed this, http://www.readallday.org/room.html. I'm only 25 pages. eeeeeeeee.