Monday, January 3, 2011

underground

I read this book a few months ago when Cole lent it to me. I read it not only because I believe that sharing books equals real friendship, but also because I trust Cole's taste. The last book he lent me was The Hunger Games.

Sadly, this book was no Hunger Games. I actually didn't like anything about it. It's ok, Cole kinda felt the same way.

The weird thing is that no matter how much I wanted to delete this book from my mind, it was all I could think about a few weeks ago when I visited NYC. There's a storyline that takes the mutant tween characters down into the subway and around a corner to discover a whole village of tunnel people living underground. Since we stayed in Brooklyn but hung out in Manhattan, we subsequently spent a lot of time underground. I nervously thought about eyeballs blinking at me from the dark tunnels while I waited for trains, but forgot about the possibility after getting back on the street.

Until I saw this:

"Armed with gloves, a backpack, and a healthy appreciation for the deadliness of the third rail, urban historian Steven Duncan and videographer Andrew Wonder explore the Undercity. This is the hidden New York. And it's beautiful." (Gizmodo)

Watch this entire video when you have the chance, it's incredible (otherwise check out minute 17 and 26). Read more about it at Gizmodo and Undercity.


No comments: